Friday, August 7, 2015

Everything, Everything

Hello Luvlies!



Publisher: Random House
Author: Nicola Yoon
Pages: 320
Publication date: September 1, 2015


  My disease is as rare is as it is famous. Basically I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, I have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom, and my nurse, Carla. 

  But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall,
lean and wearing all black-black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

  Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster.

To start off, I really want to acknowledge the cover of this book. I absolutely fell in love with it the second I saw it. Not to mention it has some really cool symbolism behind it. When you really look at the second 'Everything' you'll see that it is completely surrounded in what looks like germs, Hawaii, and everything Maddie won't experience. While the first one is not, showing Maddie's world versus the outside world, which she is hopelessly allergic to. Much like Maddie is in love with Olly, I am in love with this book! 

Maddie was such a driven girl who tried to get the most out of her life, even though she was sick and stuck in her house. I really admire her for that, because when you think about it, would you go crazy being unable to leave your house for seventeen years? I know I would! I loved that the book was told from her point of view and not someone else, because we are able to see her life and how her illness affects her personally, not just how others see it. 

I don't think I have ever heard the name 'Olly' before in any book or real life, which was what really made him stand out ot me. Olly was such a sweet and kind soul despite the persona he lead on with all the black clothes. Even through his upbringing which Maddie observes from her bedroom window, he never seemed to reflect any of it. One thing I really enjoyed was how easily I could tell that he was madly in love with Maddie. And how he was willing to  do anything to see her, even if it was from across the street. He had such a fun sense of humor, which I really wish there was more of, since it just really made Olly, well, Olly.

This is probably one of the most quotable books I have ever read, seriously, I have several quotes up on my wall. (Here's to hoping they stay the same when the book comes out!) Toward the end of the book we really get to see relationships with Maddie and the people in her life change, and some are for the better, while some were for the worse. A lot of this was done through observation of the characters and not so much their worlds. I loved the funny and witty little sketches and Maddie's 'dictionary words' that were scattered through the chapters, it really made the story come alive, and it added an element to the book that you don't see much in YA fiction. I just couldn't get enough of the book! Even after the last page I was yearning for more, and I can't wait for more from Nicola Yoon! Everything, Everything wasn't just a book you read, it was an experience you feel and a love story that will stick with you long after the last page. Make sure to pick up your copy of the book as soon as it hits the shelves on September 1st. I know I will! 


Cupcake rating;





*All opinions are my own and do not apply to others, I am open to all opinions.*

As always, leave a comment about what you thought of the book (when it's out), this review, or what you think I should review next!
Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment