Tuesday, July 21, 2015

'89 Walls

Hello Luvlies!

Publisher: Wise Ink
Author: Katie Pierson
Pages: 264
Publication date: June 8, 2015


College is not in the cards for Seth. He spends his minimum wage on groceries and fakes happiness to distract his mom from the MS they both know will kill her. It's agony to carry around a frayed love note for a girl who's both out of his league and beneath his dignity.

    Quinn's finishing high school on top. But that cynical, liberal guy in her social studies class makers her doubt her old assumptions. Challenging the rules now, though, would a) squander her last summer at home, b) antagonize her conservative dad, and c) make her a hypocrite.

    Seth and Quinn's passionate new romance takes them both by surprise. They keep it a secret: it's too early to make plans and too late not to care. But it's 1989. As politics suddenly get personal, they find themselves fighting bare-fisted for their beliefs-and each other in the clear light of day.

When I first started to read '89 walls, I was really hoping that of all books, this would be the one to stand out among the rest, which I guess in a way it did. For the most part I really enjoyed the story line behind Seth and Quinn's relationship, but to me it seemed to get a bit distracted from that. Which enters the politics area, I was not at all a fan of all the politics though it did have a purpose given the year and the setting. It may have been necessary, but I really didn't care for it.

Seth was a great character for most of the book, which I loved. He was so cute and sweet in his quite ways. Eventually as he and Quinn began to open up to each other more, he seemed to grow a bit whiny and began to lack perseverance and the will to do anything outside of what he knew best. But he and Quinn's relationship did seem to blossom through all this which might I add, was quite adorable.

Quinn was a very head strong girl, she knew what she wanted and when she wanted it. Though I did dislike most of the politics in the book, it was interesting to see her views verses Seth's. Both of which were biased based upon the environment they grew up in. At times I really wanted to  scream at Quinn, because of her choices but all in all, that's what makes a great character, right?

When we are first introduced to Seth's mom, her MS (Multiple Sclerosis) had not taken over yet, which gave us a chance to see the real her before things got bad. As her MS started to grow, I found it harder and harder for me to read about it since someone very close to me has the disease. It was truly heart breaking and was executed and written flawlessly. As a small warning here, it was probably one of the most sexual books I have ever read. It was a bit too much for my taste and it was seriously awkward to read even by myself, but it didn't take away from the story. Over all I really did enjoy the book, and found it thoroughly entertaining. 


Cupcake rating:




*All opinions are my own and do not apply to others, I am open to all opinions.*

As always, leave a comment about what you thought of the book, this review, or what YOU think I should review next!
Much love,

1 comment: