Sunday, March 1, 2015

Maybe One Day

Hello Luvlies!

Publisher: Harper Teen (Harper Collins)
Author: Melissa Kantor
Pages: 400
Publication Date: February 18, 2014




    Zoe and her best friend, Olivia, have always had big plans for the future, none of which included Olivia getting sick. Still, Zoe is determined to put on a brave face and be positive for her friend. Even when she isn't sure what to say. Even when Olivia misses months of school. Even when Zoe starts falling for Calvin, Olivia's crush. The one thing that keeps Zoe moving forward is knowing that Olivia will beat this, and everything will go back to the way it was before. It has to. Because the alternative is too terrifying for her to even imagine. In this incandescent page turner, which follows the tradition of The Fault in Our Stars, Melissa Kantor artfully explores the idea that the worst thing to happen to you might not be something that is actually happening to you. Raw, Irreverent, and honest, Zoe's unforgettable voice and story will stay with you long after the last page is turned.


    I don't even know where to start with this book, First of all it made me practically drown in my own tears, and secondly, it made me doubt that The Fault in Our Stars is the best "cancer book" out there. When I first saw it sitting on the shelf at the library I turned into this little cat friend here,



I had hoped that it would be really good and I was not disappointed! I haven't read a really good book in a really long time, so, it was a nice breath of fresh air! The characters were so strong and full of emotions, I couldn't help being sucked into their story. 

    Lets talk about Olivia, she was one of the strongest characters that I have stumbled upon in, well, lets just say a really long time! Her cancer was incredibly strong so naturally any other character might just give up right? Not Olivia. It was ridiculous, she just kept going like a steamroller, she wanted to be part of every day life like she didn't have cancer. She even tried to teach a ballet class through face time, even though it exhausted her. I mean props to Olivia *claps* she was not only strong but between her and Zoe she was the kinder of the two. She was just fun and silly most of the time, until she got sick. Then things really shifted.

    The book was told from Zoe's point of view which was really hard (emotionally) at times, because, through her I was able to see what was happening to Olivia. Through Zoe you don't just see what happens to Olivia but, you are able to see into Zoe's life as well and how the cancer was affecting her family and how she slowly broke over time. When she began to fall for Calvin it didn't happen fast which was nice, but Calvin sort of popped up out of no where. He was supposedly helping the Greco's while Olivia was sick but it just didn't seem to make much sense. I really did love Calvin though. He was supposed to be a big jock and jerk but Melissa Kantor really did a good job making him into a big sweetheart. 

    As a whole I really loved the book. It's compared to The Fault in Our Stars, which it is close to in the sense that both books are cancer stories. In Maybe One Day, the world of cancer and hospitals is much more prominent than in The Fault in Our Stars. The characters were very different and I was able to really fall in love with this book more than The Fault in Our Stars, which shocked me. Towards the end of the book I was sitting in my room pretty much baling my eyes out, when my dad walked in and started laughing at me. So, that sort of ruined the BIGGEST MOMENT IN THE ENTIRE BOOK, lol. Over all it is definitely something to read if you loved The Fault in Our Stars. I loved it, but now I really need a happy book.

*(Best quote of the book{in my opinion})*

-"Time does not care how precious it is, how hard you are working not to squander it. Time passes"


Cupcake rating:




* All opinions are my own and do not apply to others, I am open to all opinions*

As always leave comments about what you thought of the book, this review, or what YOU think I should review next!
Much love!







No comments:

Post a Comment