Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic #1)

Hello Luvlies!

Publisher: Tor Books
Author: V. E. Schwab
Pages: 400
Publication Date: February 24, 2015




    Kell is one of the last Travelers-rare magicians who choose a parallel universe to visit. Grey London is dirty, boring, lacks magic, ruled by mad King George. Red London is where life and magic is reverted, and the Maresh Dynasty presides over a flourishing empire. White London is ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. People fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to it's very bones. Once there was a Black London-but no one speaks of that now. Officially Kell is the Red Traveler, personal ambassador and adopted Prince of Red London, carrying the monthly correspondents between royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell smuggles for those willing to pay for even a glimpse of a world they will never see. This dangerous hobby sets him up for accidental treason. Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs afoul of Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a dangerous enemy, then forces him to another world for her 'proper adventure'. But perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, Kell and Lila will first need to stay alive-trickier than they hoped.


    Can I just start off by saying I have been very paranoid about  when to release this review, since after all, I received and advanced readers copy. *laughs to self* So anyway, as I began to read I was crazy confused. The opening part of the book takes place in the middle of Kell dropping off a letter to King George, so really, I had no clue what was going on. But, as I read it got better and much easier to understand the plot and what was going on. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that around chapter three I had already forgotten that Kell was the adopted Prince of Red London, so when I finally realized it I felt like an idiot, lol. From the very beginning of the book I fell in love with the writing style. Schwab did a flawless job of making not only the setting, but also the language used really feel like the time period. Because of this, I was thrust head first into a fantastic world of fantasy. My mental picture of Red London was absolutely amazing.

     Though I did love some parts of the book I found myself getting board at parts, and I did space out more than a few times. I even checked Facebook a couple times in the middle of a chapter. It was gripping at times but then at the same time it just wasn't. There was something about the book that didn't capture me like I had hoped.

    Getting into the characters, I really loved Kell. He was so brave at times and such a fun character. I loved the interactions he had with his brother. I was able to se several sides of him that were all very entertaining. I also loved Lila, she was so strong and had that attitude that says, "Back off, I've got this". One thing that I found to be a bit odd was her belief that she was meant to be a pirate, I wasn't really a fan of that. Over all I would buy it for my friends who are big fans of fantasy and adventure, but I would not buy it for myself.

Cupcake rating:




* All opinions are my own and do not apply to others, I am open to all opinions*
As always, leave comments about what you though of the book, this review, or what YOU think I should review next!
Much love!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment