Friday, January 2, 2015

Fangirl

Hello Luvlies!

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 448
Publication date: September 10, 2013




    Cath is a Simon and Snow fan...
But for Cath, being a fan is her life-and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premier. Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to. Now that they are going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she cant stop worrying about her dad, whose loving and fragile and has never really been alone. For Cath the question is, can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

    I received this book from a good friend of mine for Christmas. She absolutely loved it and knew I would too, so I immediately began reading it. I was sucked in from the very beginning by the plot and amazing writing that could only belong to Rainbow Rowell. I did feel that the book began at a slow pace but it was still so entertaining to read that I could not put it down, seriously, I had the TV on, the light off and my head lamp on. I read like that for hours. No joke. I did notice that in the beginning of the book when we are first introduced to her roommate (Reagan) and her roommate's boyfriend (Levi) they seemed very hard-core. 

    Throughout the progression of the book I was able to see the character development in both characters and I grew more and more attached to them. I began to see the silly, adorable side of Levi while the hard outer shell in the beginning fell away. Reagan stayed the same personality wise but she never really took on the role of an angry druggy character that she seemed to think she was. In terms of character development Cath seemed to evolve the most, she really took on the adult role and seemed to grow up and mature more than I had originally expected which was a pleasant surprise for me.

    When Nick (Cath's classmate) was introduced I fell in love with his looks and really looked for the good in him though he never really seemed to become who I thought. I guess that's a good thing? Anyways, he really turned out to be a big loser. I applaud Rowell's ability to let her characters realize this and approach the situation with some sense, its rare to see that in a really good book. Most characters just don't seem to be able to access a situation properly. I loved all of her odd characters and the great interactions they had, I seriously loved this book and wish it would never end. My only real disappointment was Caths fan-fiction. I loved her writing style but I was not such a fan of the story line. Rainbow Rowell is coming out with Caths fan-fiction story as a real book soon which I am enormously excited about and cant wait to give it a second chance.

Cupcake rating:




* All opinions are my own and do not apply to others, I am open to all opinions*

As always, Leave a comment about what you thought of the book, this review or what YOU think I should review next!
Much Love!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this book, it really made me happy and I love Rainbow Rowell. Another amazing review. you are my favorite reviewer and I also am excited when I see you put out a new review!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I love hearing that you enjoy my reviews as much as I enjoy writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I really loved Fangirl too! I do agree with you on the fan fiction thing though. Quite a few times I found myself skimming those parts but I'm excited to see how Rainbow will pull off Carry On!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully she will be able to pull it off just as flawlessly as Fangirl!

      Delete
  4. yay! I really loved fangirl. Have still yet tp read all her other books, but really want to get on that bandwagon!
    http://simplybookishthings.blogspot.com/
    Kristin @ Simply Bookish Things
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree, hopefully I will have some more of her books reviewed soon!

      Delete